AYC (Anglicare Youth Connect) is a youth program run in partnership with the local church. This program aims offer vulnerable young people aged 11-18 a safe place to meet up, build trust and have fun. As time goes on, they can be matched with a mentor who can offer one-on-one support and encouragement.
Our afternoons include games, activities, workshops, group discussions around issues facing youth. Each young person has the opportunity to build a meaningful relationship with their mentor in a one-to-one setting which can be a catalyst for positive change in the young person’s life.
With the mentor’s assistance, the young person identifies and works towards specific goals which are relevant and attainable for them. We find that the mentors gain a sense of satisfaction and purpose in making such a difference in the young person’s life.
Mentor Age: 18 and over
Mentee Age: 11-18 yrs
Child Protection Policy: Yes
Mentor Training: Yes, training is provided for mentors
Training Process of Mentors Mentors must complete mentor training course run by Anglicare.
Mentor Screening: Yes, screening is provided for mentors
Screening Process of Mentors: Interview and screening of applicants is completed by Anglicare.
All Mentors must undergo compulsory Working with Children and National Police Checks.
Mentor Position Description: Mentor Role
Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing one-to-one relationship.
· Serve as a positive role model and friend to build the relationship by planning and participating in activities together
· Strive for mutual respect, Build self-esteem and motivation.
· Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them.
· Have fun together
· Be willing and able to make a long term commitment to mentoring
· Be willing and able to meet with your mentee a minimum of 2 hours per week. throughout each month Communicate with your mentee in between face to face visits Attend mentoring training
· Attend mentor/mentee group events, mentor support groups, and program recognition events as available
· Desirable, Willing and active listener
· Encouraging and supportive Patient and flexible
· Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
Mentor Minimum Commitment: 9 month commitment from Mentors.
2 hours per week per school term.