Indigenous Engagement Mentor
Employer: Bendigo Kangan Institute
Work Type/s: Full Time
Classification/s: Social Work, Indigenous, Youth, Education and Training
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Melbourne (Northern Suburbs)
Job posted on: 9 June, 2017
- Do you want to make a difference in your Indigenous community?
- Join a fresh, dynamic Indigenous mentoring program
- Three roles available – Bendigo, Echuca, Broadmeadows
In July 2014 Bendigo TAFE and Kangan Institute merged to form the Bendigo Kangan Institute (BKI). Our purpose is to deliver innovative learning solutions for individuals, industry and communities that facilitate real employment outcomes by putting the customer at the centre of everything we do.
The Back to Work program is a 2017 initiative to support Indigenous students to move into meaningful employment. This role is responsible for building relationships with Indigenous students at our Bendigo, Echuca and Broadmeadows campuses with the remit of retaining students in the program. Working as part of the Back to Work team the Indigenous Engagement Mentors will identify barriers for students in completing the program and implement solutions.
This is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander designated position, classified under “special measures” of section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010. The occupant must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Key Selection Criteria
To be successful in the role you will have:
- Relevant experience or formal qualifications with substantial experience in Mentoring, Counselling or Support Work
- Ability to develop and implement strategies for engaging indigenous students whilst also working within an agreed framework
- Ability to network, partner and maintain work relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously, demonstrate initiative and be performance driven
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please visit https://www.kangan.edu.au/home/information-and-resources/jobsor http://www.bendigotafe.edu.au to obtain a position description, further information about the role and to apply online.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Petra McLoughlin, Project Manager Back to Work on 03 5434 1567