Check and Connect Mentor
Employer: Bill Crews Charitable Trust
Work Type/s: Full Time
Classification/s: Child Welfare, Youth & Family Services
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Sydney (CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs)
Job posted on: 16 June, 2017
About the business and the role
The Bill Crews Charitable Trust (BCCT) exists to encourage and develop new and innovative projects aimed at alleviating poverty.
The Check and Connect (C&C) Mentor will lead the BCCT youth re-engagement pilot program across schools in Western Sydney. The C&C mentor will work with BCCT’s academic partners to both deliver the program in pilot schools, as well as provide feedback where applicable on program efficacy.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with schools and programs to define and outline roles to improve participation, performance, and success for individual students who are disengaging from school and learning.
- Work as a liaison to facilitate and promote communication and problem solving both at the individual student level, and between the student’s home and school.
- Provide students and families with information and linkages with partner agencies
- Collaborate with adults and stakeholders already involved with the youth.
- Communicate regularly with teachers to gather and share information about student progress.
- Serve as a positive role model to students, staff and parents.
- Comply with all relevant WHS legislation.
Skills and experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Degree or Tertiary Qualification in Teaching in NSW
- Demonstrable experience and skilled at liaising with schools, teachers, parents, and building partnerships
- Demonstrable experience working with children and adolescents, youth agencies, and school systems
- Advanced operational computer knowledge in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Excellent communication skills, oral and listening, including advocacy, public speaking and presentation of material to groups. Report writing skills
- Experience in working with young people form cultural and linguistically diverse background and other disadvantaged groups;
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment;
- Have qualities of strength, calmness and resilience;
- Provide a National Criminal History Record Check;
- Provide a Working with Children Check Number
Job benefits and perks
- Salary Packaging
- Check and Connect Program Training – specific for this role
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Chance to be part of an innovative program